Dana Johnson, AICP

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 649
Marietta, GA

Physical Address:
1150 Powder Springs St., Ste 400
Marietta, GA.

Location Map

Office hours:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Community Development Agency

Frequently Asked Questions

Choose from the following Divisions / Sections:

right arrow Planning Division
right arrow GIS Section / Street Addressing / Maps
right arrow Zoning Division
right arrow Business License Division
right arrow Erosion Control Division
right arrow Development Permitting
right arrow Inspectors
right arrow Site Plan Review
right arrow Site Inspection
right arrow Building Permit




Planning Division

1. What is the future land use of a particular area?
Future land Use designations can be obtained on the Cobb County website at Geographic Information Systems. Also, information can be obtained in the Comprehensive Plan which is located at comdev.cobbcountyga.gov/downloads/2008-comp-plan-final.pdfalt
2. How can I get information on current or past studies that have been conducted?
Corridor studies and small area master plans provide neighborhood scaled detail on specific areas of Cobb County. Information is available on current and past studies from the Planning Division webpage, located at Community Development Dev. & Inspections.
3. How do I apply for a Conservation Easement?
Conservation Easement information and easement templates can be obtained in the Planning Division, please call 770-528-2018.
4. Is my house, land, or building historic?
To find out information on locally designated historic areas or properties please call the historic preservation planner at 770-528-2010.


alt Back to the Top




GIS Section / Street Addressing/Maps

1. Is this address located in Cobb County?
This information can be found at www.cobbtax.org.
2. How do I use the online Mapping on the website?
This information is located at Geographic Information Systems, which will take you into Cobb’s Geographic Information Systems. Click on the launch icon and this will take you to the online mapping terms and conditions in order to continue you must agree to the terms. Once you agree this will bring you to the actual mapping page and you would then tab to help and this will bring you to the instruction on how to use online mapping.
3. What is the suite number of this address?
The customer will need to present a proposed suite numbering setup, and we validate the sequential order of the suite numbers.
4. This property is not showing an address, how would I go about getting an address for this location?
If a full site permit has been issued, we go ahead and address the property. If not, we send the customer to Site Plan Review. Information required when receiving a residential address request: Obtain property 11 digit parcel information and current address used.
5. How would I go about getting a map and how much will it cost?
We sell pre-made maps, and generally have copies on-hand for sale. Contact GIS department for additional information 770-528-2002.


alt Back to the Top




Zoning Division

1. What is the zoning of my property?
Zoning designations can be obtained on the Cobb County website on-line mapping which is located at Geographic Information Systems.
2. What are the permitted uses on a property, what are the setbacks on a property, and where can I get information on the rules for accessory structures?
All of this information is contained within the zoning code which can be viewed from the County Clerk's page. Once you click on the "Official Code of Cobb County" link, select chapter 134 zoning and navigate to the appropriate district you are interested in.
Additional information can be obtained by calling the Zoning Division at 770.528.2045.
3. What are the rules for an in-home business?
Information on in-home businesses can be obtained by calling the Zoning Division at 770.528.2045.
4. How do I ask for a rezoning or a variance on my property?
Rezoning and variance applications can be downloaded on the Cobb County website at Community Development Land Use.
5. How do I turn somebody in for a zoning code violation?
Reporting a potential zoning code violation is now available on-line. Please submit information at www.accela.com/company/contact.asp.


alt Back to the Top




Business License Division

1. Do I need to register my Trade Name?
If a business uses or plans to use any name other than the owner's personal name, the Trade Name Registration Act requires that the owner register that name with the Superior Court Clerk'sffice. Contact the Superior Court Clerk’s Office at (770) 528-1328.
2. Do I need to contact Site Plan Review regarding my business?
Typical land disturbing activities (residential subdivisions, commercial or institutional development), require approval through Site Plan Review. The owner/developer must have a Cobb County Business Registration Certificate prior to consideration for plan review. The Plan Review Section can be contacted at (770)528-2147.
3. Do I need a State Sales Tax Number?
Businesses are required to collect sales taxes on the retail sale of merchandise, the rental of certain items, and for certain services. Contact the Georgia Department of Revenue at (404) 656- 4060 or (770) 732-5812 to obtain a sales tax number.
4. Do I need a Federal Tax ID Number?
Businesses are required to obtain a federal employers tax identification number to report income and to submit federal payroll taxes. Federal income tax information and assistance may be obtained by calling (800) 829-1040 or to request forms at (800) 829-3676.
5. Do we accept payments over the phone or over the internet?
At this time we cannot accept payments over the phone or via internet.
 6. How do I Incorporate my business?
To form a corporation in the State of Georgia, contact the Secretary of State's Office at (404) 656-2817 or www.sos.state.ga.us. It is not necessary to be incorporated to begin business in Cobb County.

If you are incorporated please submit a copy of your certificate of incorporation with the business registration certificate application.
 7. How much does a license cost?
Generally, the business registration certificate fee is based on the following: type of activity in which the business is engaged and projected total gross receipts to be generated by the business for the calendar year.
 8. My check was mailed but still has not cleared my bank, did you receive it yet?
The Business License Division cannot promise a date that a certificate will be issued. Expect eight to ten weeks to receive your certificate.
 9. I do not have my license renewal form. What do I do?
If you did not have your  renewal form, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. with your occupation tax certificate/business license number and your business name requesting a copy of your renewal form to be e-mailed to you.
 10. What are the interest and penalty fees if I’m operating without an Occupation Tax Certificate?
Operating without an Occupation Tax Certificate in unincorporated Cobb County - or failing to pay occupation tax - will result in interest of 1.5 percent per month for up to three years and penalty of 10% per year. Interest and penalty are mandated by the Cobb County Code of Ordinances and are not waive able.
 11. What businesses need to contact the Cobb County Zoning Division?
Contact the Cobb County Zoning Division at (770) 528-2004 with questions pertaining to the limitations on activities in residences and all other zoning areas. The Zoning Division is located at 1150 Powder Springs Rd. Marietta GA.
 12. What if I’m conducting construction-related activities in unincorporated Cobb County?
If you are conducting construction-related activities in unincorporated Cobb County, a building permit may be required. Contact the Cobb County Development and Inspections Division at (770) 528-2061. Permits are issued at the Permit Office, 1150 Powder Springs St. Marietta GA.
 13. What is the number to Georgia Department of Revenue?
Information pertaining to preparation of tax returns for state income taxes may be obtained by calling the Georgia Department of Revenue at (404) 656-4293.
 14. When does my certificate expire?
All certificates expire on December 31st of each year.
 15. Who is required to pay Real Property Taxes and Personal Property Taxes?
All real and personal property taxes owed to Cobb County must be paid prior to the issuance or renewal of a business license. Questions regarding real property taxes or personal property taxes should be directed to the Tax Commissioner's Office at (770) 528-8619.
 16. Who is required to have a State License Certification?
Certain professionals and specified construction-related businesses such as plumbers, electricians, heating and air conditioning contractors, building contractors, or mechanical contractors, etc., are required to be certified by the State. Information pertaining to these requirements may be obtained by calling (912) 207-1300.
 17. Who needs to sign the renewal form, affidavit, and provide one secure and verifiable document (a driver license or passport)?
An employee of the company must sign the renewal form, the HB citizenship affidavit, the Private Employer affidavit, and provide one secure and verifiable document (a driver license or passport). An outside/contractor bookkeeper or accountant cannot sign the renewal application or affidavit. The employee who signs the application must be the same person who signs the affidavits and provides one secure and verifiable document (a driver license or passport). If you have questions, please call the Cobb County Business License Division at 770-528- 8410.
 18. Can your office notarize my affidavits, if I come there?
Yes, all of our offices have notaries on site. Please bring one secure and verifiable document (a driver license or passport).
 19. Can I mail a copy of my driver’s license?
Yes as of July 1, 2013 you may mail your driver’s license/secure and verifiable document.  Be sure to include your occupation tax certificate/business license number, and the name of your business.
 20. I did not receive my Business License Certificate. Can you send me another one?
You will need to come in person because of the new GA immigration Reform Act. It requires is to verify payment has been posted, verify mailing address, and you have to provide all documents required by law. We do not keep copies of certificates/licenses.
 21. I supplied my HB Citizenship Affidavit, private employer affidavit and provided my one secure and verifiable document, (a driver license or passport) last year. Do I have to supply it again?
Yes, State law requires these documents prior to issuance of any and every occupation tax certificate/business license.
 22. What is an e-verify number and where do I get one?
For more information on e-verify and obtaining a Federal Work Authorization User Identification Number please visit http://www.uscis.gov *This is not your Federal ID Number*


alt Back to the Top




Erosion Control Division

1. Can the county do something about mud in the streets?
Citizens, contractors, developers etc. can request an on site visit/inspection to determine the cause.
2. Water runoff on my property from overflowing drains or my neighbor’s down spouts is damaging my property; can the county help me?
Citizens can request county involvement, to find out more information please contact Please call our office at (770) 528-2190.
3. Is the county responsible for removing trees, brush and related debris from creeks, streams and other waterways?
Erosion Inspectors can be scheduled for an on-site inspection to investigate the problem and recommend a course of action. Please call our office at (770) 528-2190.
4. What can I do to minimize eroding stream banks?
Please contact our office at (770) 528-2190 for information on how to stabilize your stream banks.
5. Red mud is running into nearby retention ponds, lakes or other waterways in my neighborhood. Can the county help curb the problem?
For information regarding this matter please contact our office at (770) 528-2190.


alt Back to the Top




Development Permitting

1. How would I go about requesting records on a piece of property I am considering purchasing?
To request records on a particular piece of property complete an Open Records Request and forward to our office.
2. What is the cost of a permit?
The information on cost of permits, please contact our office:
Residential permitting (770) 528-2043, M-F 8-5pm
Commercial permitting (770) 528-2071, M-F 8-8pm
3. What is required on a commercial project to get a permit?
The information can be located in our Permits and Applications page.
4. I want to put a detached building for storage on my property. Do I need a permit?
Please contact the residential permitting department for this Information at 770-528-2043, Hours M-F 8-5pm.


alt Back to the Top





1. How long after I request an inspection (call the automated inspection request system @ 770-528-2073) can I expect the inspection to be performed?
Inspection requests that are called in prior to 6:00 a.m. will typically be performed that same day.
2. Do I have to pay for inspection?
Required inspections are covered under the permit fee. However, if an inspection fails a recall fee may be assessed for an additional inspection.
3. How can I get in touch with the inspector?
You can call the following numbers to receive the direct contact information for the inspector assigned to your area. Electrical - 770-528-2086, Plumbing and HVAC - 770-528-2157 and Building - 770-528-2051. The inspectors are avail be from 8:00- 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 to 4:00 p.m Monday thru Friday.
4. How much are the reinspection fees?
$25.00 for the first one, $50.00 for the second one and $100.00 for each additional inspection after the second one.
5. Where can I find code information?
Code information is available from the Deptartment of Community Affairs (DCA) and within the Cobb County Code.


alt Back to the Top




Site Plan Review

1. Does my project need a land disturbance permit?
The parameters for determining whether a project requires a land disturbance permit are too numerous to list here. It is best to call the Site Plan Review Section at 770-528-2147 and describe the location and scope of your project, so that you can be advised whether or not a permit is required.
2. How do I get a land disturbance permit?
If a land disturbance permit is required, the normal review process is a follows:
  1. Submit site plans (3 sets) to Site Plan Review before Wednesday at 4:30 pm.
  2. Meet with all plan reviewers at your scheduled time at the Plan Review conference on Thursday of the following week.

  3. Address all reviewers’ comments and obtain a release from each reviewer to attend a Monday morning “One Stop” permit conference.

  4. Call Site Plan Review (770-528-2147) for a “One Stop” appointment.

  5. Obtain plan approval stamps and receive a land disturbance permit at your appointed time at the Monday morning “One Stop” meeting.
For more information about this process, call the Site Plan Review Section at 770-528-2147.
3. What are the fees for a land disturbance permit?
Fees associated with a land disturbance permit are as follows:
  • Plan Review fee: $125.00 per submittal
  • Commercial Project Permit fee*: $100.00 per disturbed acre
  • Residential Permit fee: $10.00 per lot
  • Minimum Permit fee: $50.00
  • NPDES fee (all projects over 1 acre): $40.00 per disturbed acre

  • *Includes Apartment, Condominium and Townhome projects
4. Can I get a land disturbance permit and a building permit at the same time?
When a land disturbance permit and a building permit are required for a project, the land disturbance permit must be obtained before a building permit. More specifically, a land disturbance permit only allows for sufficient land disturbing activity to install erosion control and tree protection devices. When those devices have been inspected and approved, the Site Inspector issues a grading permit at the site. A building permit cannot be issued until after the grading permit has been issued.
5. How can I determine if there is flood plain on or near my property?
Call the Stormwater Management Division at 770-419-6435 or the Site Plan Review Section at 770-528-2147 for information regarding flood plain locations. FEMA FIRMs (Flood Insurance Rate Maps) are available for viewing at the following web site, but it is difficult to determine property locations on these maps located HERE.
6. How can I get an elevation certificate for the house on my property?
Most (but not all) lots containing flood plain in subdivisions that were recorded after 1992 have elevation certificates on file with the Site Plan Review Section. An elevation certificate is a document prepared by a surveyor to officially demonstrate the relationship between the elevation of the house and any flood plain located on the lot. Call 770-528-2147 to find out if an elevation certificate is available for your lot. Another document showing whether a house is above the flood plain is called a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA), which is issued by FEMA. To determine whether Cobb County has a LOMA on file for a lot, contact the Stormwater Management Division at 770-419-6435. If an elevation certificate or LOMA is required for a lot, and Cobb County does not have one on file, it is the responsibility of the lot owner to hire a surveyor to obtain one.
7. How do I get a copy of my property plat?
The Site Plan Review Section does not have copies of individual lot plats. For a fee, we can provide a copy of any plat that is recorded at the office of the Cobb County Clerk of the Superior Court. Here again, individual lot plats are typically not available, but the overall subdivision plat where your lot is located usually is available. You can access the web site of the Superior Court Clerk to view and print a copy of any recorded document found HERE.
8. What documents do I need to obtain a retaining wall permit?
You will need a site plan and a design detail signed and sealed by a registered profession engineer in the state of Georgia. The site plan must show the location, height and orientation of the wall; a north arrow; and sufficient boundary and/or building locations to identify where the wall is on the site.
9. Do I need a permit to harvest timber?
Any large-scale tree removal operation that is not permitted under a land disturbance permit must have a timber harvest permit in Cobb County. Contact the Site Plan Review Section at 770-528-2147 for more information about what is considered to be a timber harvest. In addition to the Cobb County permit, a notice of timber harvest activity must be submitted to the Cobb County office of the Georgia Forestry Commission (Call 770-528-3195 for more information).
10. Do I need a permit to remove some trees in my yard?
In most cases, you do not need a permit to remove a few trees in your yard. County review and approval is required if the trees are located in a stream buffer or a buffer required by the Zoning Code. Also, if the tree removal is extensive, a timber harvest permit may be required. Contact the Site Plan Review Section at 770-528-2147 if you are unsure of your situation.


alt Back to the Top




Site Inspection

1. How can I get in touch with some in Site Inspection?
Hours of Operations are from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm and we can be contacted at (770)-528-2134.
2. How do I get a grading permit?
After a project has been approved and a land disturbance permit (LDP) has been issued, call 770-528-2134 to schedule a pre-construction meeting with the assigned Site Inspector. Upon satisfactory inspection of the installed erosion control measures shown on the phase 1 Erosion Control Plan, the Site Inspector will issue the construction/grading permit.
3. How do I get an inspector out?
For (complaints) call (770) 528-2134 and provide information about the complaint. (name, location, phone number, and details of the complaint) an inspection will be scheduled for a site inspector to come out to evaluate and report on the complaint.
4. How do I get a site release?
The Site Inspector will be making periodic site inspections to track progress. Upon completion of all site work, contact the assigned inspector to schedule a final site inspection. You may also call 770-528-2134 to schedule an inspection.


alt Back to the Top




Building Permits

1. What is exempt from permitting?
  1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area does not exceed 200 sq. ft. ,is not on a permanent foundation, has no electrical, plumbing , HVAC or gas connections, is at least 5 feet from all property boundaries and is less than 35 feet in height. (There may be Zoning stipulations associated with your property that may impose further limitations on detached structures. Please contact the Zoning Division at 770-528-2035 for this information prior to starting your project.)

  2. Fences (However, there are height limitations for fences so please contact the Zoning Division at 770-528-2035 for this information prior to starting your project)

  3. Retaining walls that are not over 30 inches in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge such as a driveway or other permanent structure.

  4. Sidewalks and driveways. Sidewalks can not be poured within the ROW. If you are proposing adding or relocating a driveway you must obtain approval from the Department of Transportation at 770-528-1600.

  5. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and other finish work.

  6. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.

  7. Swings and other playground equipment.

  8. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support. 

  9. Exterior wall covering such as siding, fascia and cornice work.

  10. Roofing - shingle replacement only.
2. Can a homeowner obtain a permit?
A homeowner can obtain permits to do work on the home in which they reside only. A contractors license is required for anyone else performing work.
3. Are there any additional requirements for obtaining building permits if my home is on a septic tank?
Yes, approval must be obtained from the Environmental Health Division of the Cobb/Douglas Board of Health prior to applying for a building permit of any kind. Stand alone electrical, plumbing or HVAC work does not require their review and approval. You can contact Environmental Health at 770-435-7815.


alt Back to the Top