Ecological Lending Library
Return to Resources
Stream Monitoring Kits
• Chemical Data Collection (temperature, pH, dissolved oxygen, conductivity)
• Bacterial Data Collection (E. coli)
• Macroinvertebrate Data Collection (insects, crustaceans, worms, and mollusks)
• Physical Data Collection (habitat survey, channel cross-section, stream flow, pebble count)
Our Shared Forest (OSF) Science Night Kit
24 interactive education activities designed to bring light to the importance of conserving existing habitats and reestablishing fragmented habitats of neotropical migrant birds.
Demonstrates how multiple small sources of pollution impact waterways
Traveling Treasure Trunks
Explore our mobile collection of water and nature resources including books, games, music, and videos. The trunk is available to schools for three-week periods.
Water Education Activities
• Water Cycle Journey - become a water drop and travel though oceans, clouds, groundwater, etc., gaining an understanding of water movement on the planet.
• Student Action Relays – activities provide the stewardship component that youth can implement and teaches the importance of personal responsibility.
Pick It Up Pet Waste Relay - participants learn how water quality is impacted by pet waste and practice picking up after their pets.
FOG Relay - participants learn how to prevent Fats, Oil, and Grease (FOG) from causing overflows and impacting stream health.
• How much water do we have? – demonstrations and Earth ball activities reveal how much water is on our planet and how much is available for human use.
Wildlife and Forest Education Activities
• Butterfly Box - learn to identify common GA butterflies and their caterpillars, the stages of butterfly metamorphosis, the difference between moths and butterflies, and butterfly habitat requirements.
• Tree Study - a collection of our favorite tree activities including several measurement exercises to determine tree age, height, and important benefits we receive from of trees
Recommended Readings/Videos (short summary for each resource) - available for checkout
• Water: A Natural History by Alice Outwater
• Watersheds: A Practical Handbook for Healthy Water by Clive Dobson and Gregor Beck
• Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
• Developing Ecological Consciousness: Paths To A Sustainable World by Christopher Uhl
• A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson
• A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
• Bottlemania by Elizabeth Royte
• A Sense of Wonder by Rachel Carson
• If the World Were a Village by David Smith
• Backyard Carolina by Andy Wood
• Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
• Blue Planet Run published by Earth Aware Editions
• All the Way to the Ocean by Joel Harper
• Second Nature by Michael Pollan
• Drifters by Pam Logobardi
• Keeping All the Pieces by Whit Gibbons
• When the Rivers Run Dry by Fred Pearce
• A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf by John Muir
• Tuesday by David Wiesner
• Snakes of the Southeast by Whit Gibbons and Mike Dorcas
• The Forest Unseen – A Year’s Watch in Nature by David Georgia Haskell
• What the Robin Knows: How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World by Jon Young
• Summer World: A Season of Bounty by Bernd
• Fairy Houses by Tracy Kane
• Illumination in the Flatwoods: A Season With The Wild Turkey by Joe Hutto
• Nature: My Life as a Turkey by Joe Hutto
• Bugs of the Underworld: The Natural History of Aquatic Insects by Ralph & Lisa Cutter (DVD)
• The Outermost House: A Year of Life On The Great Beach of Cape Cod by Henry Beston
• Hiking Atlanta’s Hidden Forests: Intown and Out by Jonah McDonald
• One Square Inch of Silence: One Man’s Quest to Preserve Quiet by Hempton & Grossmann
• Chattahoochee River User’s Guide by Joe Cook
• Etowah River User’s Guide by Joe Cook
• Pollinators of Native Plants: Attract, Observe and Identify Pollinators...by Heather Holm
• World of the Salt Marsh:Protecting Tidal Marshes of the SE Atlantic Coast by Charles Seabrook
• Nature Kaleidoscope Coloring Book by Lee Anne Snozek
• Symphony of the Soil (DVD)