Cobb County Government
PressReleaseHeaderLg

Cobb County Board of Commissioners approve purchase of six buses for future Cumberland Circulator

(Marietta, Ga. – October 27, 2015) In today’s Cobb Board of Commissioners’ meeting, commissioners authorized the procurement of six new Gillig Low Floor Clean Diesel Cobb Community Transit buses in an amount not to exceed $3,350,532 to provide future circulator service in the Cumberland area.

Previously approved Federal Transit Administration grants will fund 80 percent ($2,680,426) of the bus procurement, with the remaining 20 percent match ($670,106) available in the Transit Division’s FY16 Fund Balance Reserves. The fund balance will be replenished with Cumberland Circulator revenues, beginning in FY17 for a period between three, and not to exceed five years, dependent on actual collections received.

In September and October, three public information meetings were held for the Cumberland Circulator Plan.
In January, 2014, the Board authorized Cobb Community Transit (CCT) to issue a request for proposals to secure transportation planning services for the development of a Cumberland Circulator Plan. In April, 2014, the Athens-Clarke County Government issued the Heavy Duty Transit Bus Consortium Request for proposals which included CCT as a procurement member. The FTA encourages smaller transit agencies to use joint procurement to obtain better pricing.

According to Faye DiMassimo, director, Cobb County DOT, bus production necessitates the bus procurement now in order to meet the anticipated service start date of February, 2017. The final Cumberland Circulator implementation plan will be presented at future Board meeting and a subsequent public hearing will be held.