Authorization: Ga. Laws 1951, p. 497, Act #319; Ga. Laws 1965, p. 2762, Act #285; Ga. Laws 1967, p. 2051, Act #13; Ga. Laws 1984, p. 4325, Act #935; Ga. Laws 1986, p. 5296; Ga. Laws 1988, p. 4028, Act #951; Ga. Laws 1989, p. 4711, Act #279; Ga. Laws 1994, pg. (S.B. #664, Act #921).
HB 318 of 2006 amended the membership of the Authority. House Bill 819 of 2007 provided for a pay increase.
Description: Composed of seven (7) members consisting of the following (per 2006 legislation):
1) The Chairman of the Cobb Board of Commissioners,
2) one (1) member selected by the governing authority of the City of Marietta
3) one (1) member selected by the governing authority of the City of Smyrna
4) one (1) member shall be the chairperson of the Board of Commissioners of Paulding County
5) three (3) members selected by a caucus consisting of all members of the General Assembly whose districts are wholly or partially within Cobb County; the three (3) members so selected by the caucus shall include one member from the Cobb Commission District 1 or 4, excluding residents of Marietta and Smyrna; one member from Cobb Commission District 2 or 3, excluding residents of Marietta and Smyrna; and one member from unincorporated Cobb County.
The term of the office of the Chairperson of the Board of Commissioners as a member of the authority shall be concurrent with his/her term of office as Chair. The term of office of the chairperson of the Board of Commissioners of Paulding County as a member of the authority shall be concurrent with their terms of office as chairpersons except that the term of office of the chairperson of the Board of Commissioners of Paulding County shall begin on August 15, 2006. The All other members of the Authority shall serve for terms of four (4) years and until their successors are appointed and qualified and shall assume office on August 15 following the expiration of the prior members terms. This Authority is created as a body corporate and politic which is deemed to be a political subdivision of the State of Georgia and a public corporation. Members receive $4,800 per year and the Chairman receives $6,000 per year.
Timothy D. Lee
Earl E. Smith
Contact Information: Becky Mixon