Cobb County Government

Community Service Work

Community service work must be completed with a nonprofit charitable organization that has a 501(c)3 tax exempt status. A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization is an organization whose activities have the following purposes: charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering amateur sports competition, or preventing cruelty to children or animals. In order to check an organization to see if it is considered a 501(c)3, you can go to the Georgia Secretary of State website. will also let you know if the organization has an active status and in compliance with the law.

You may complete your community service wherever you live. If you live outside of Georgia, check your state’s Secretary of State website for confirmation of the organizations 501(c)3 status.

Once you have completed your community service work, you must have the organization write you a letter on the organization’s business letterhead. The letter must include the number of hours that you have completed and what you did for the organization. It must also have a signature in ink and a phone number so your Probation Officer can contact them to confirm. You will only receive credit for completing the community service once you have provided the original letter to your Probation Officer and it has been confirmed. We will not accept emails, faxes, or copies of this letter.

We will not accept a timesheet.

If the organization will not write you a letter, then you will be told to redo the hours.

The following organizations will not be accepted:

  • TERRA Research Foundation
  • Handmaidens Ministries
  • HMI Soup Kitchen
  • Dove Car Renaissance and Empower Ministry, Inc
  • Logan Social Services
  • Angel Works, USA

You cannot do community service online.
You cannot pay for your community service.
One hour credit = one hour worked.

Submitting false/forged community service will result in a felony warrant for your arrest. If you have any further questions about community service, be sure to ask your Probation Officer.