The major responsibility of the Building section is the regulation and inspection of building construction activity in unincorporated Cobb County which includes the enforcement of development regulations and building code. Development and Inspections has prepared a document to assist local residents and businesses in understanding common residential violations.
Some of the common building violations found in the community include:
- Construction activity without a posted, County issued permit.
- Swimming pool barrier and/or fence not in place either completely or partially and/or self-latching, self closing gate(s).
- Occupying a structure or use of an accessory structure without a Certificate of Occupancy or a letter of completion.
- Expiration of permit(s) associated with construction activities.
- Construction activities beyond the approved scope allowed in the permit.
- Drainage easements blocked by yard debris, grass clippings, or other materials not allowing water to flow freely through the easement.
Board of Adjustments and Appeals
Development & Inspections provides staff support to the Board of Adjustments and Appeals (BAA). The BAA reviews appeals concerning the interpretation and administration of the Building Code, Plumbing Code, Electrical Code, and Heating and Air Conditioning Code. The BAA is made up of 9 members appointed by the Board of Commissioners.