Upcoming Classes - Join today!
To sign up, fill out the application below and send it, as well as a copy of your driver's license, to Kimberly Repak via e-mail at Kimberly.Repak@cobbcounty.org or via fax at 770-499-4558.
To sign up, use our online CERT Initial Training Application
Once completed, this on line application will automatically route directly to the Cobb County EMA for processing. You will need to send a clear copy of your driver's license in as a final step for the completion of the application process. Send the copy of the photo ID via e-mail to email@example.com or call Bernard King at (770) 499-4568 for assistance.
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their areas and trains them in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Using training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhoods or workplaces following events when professional responders are not immediately available to help.
CERT training consists of the following:
- Emergency Preparedness: Addresses hazards to which people are vulnerable in their communities. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during, and after disasters.
- Fire Safety: Briefly covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards, and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, sizing up situations, controlling utilities, and extinguishing small fires.
- Medical Operations Part I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstructions, bleeding, and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
- Medical Operations Part II: Covers evaluating patients by doing head-to-toe assessments, establishing a medical treatment area, performing basic first aid, and practicing in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Light Search and Rescue Operations: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size up, search techniques, rescue techniques, and most important, rescuer safety.
- Disaster Psychology and Team Organization: Participants learn about problems in organizing teams under emergency conditions and operating a neighborhood command post. Students learn concepts of resource procurement and allocation, disaster psychology, damage assessment, and documentation.
- Terrorism and CERT: Focuses on CERT operations before a disaster such as long-term planning, how to organize a neighborhood, evaluate available resources, and identify people with special needs.
If you have any questions about the classes, or if you would like to enroll, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 770-499-4568. The EMA office will be happy to assist with any questions.
Cobb County CERT Training Schedule for 2018
|Month||Day(s)||Length||Time Slot||Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4||Session 5||Session 6||Session 7||Session 8|
|JAN||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||1/13||1/20||1/27||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|FEB||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||See "Partner Training Sites"||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|MAR||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||3/10||3/17||3/24||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|MAY||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||5/12||5/19||5/26||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|JUN||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||6/09||6/16||6/23||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|AUG||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||8/04||8/11||8/18||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|SEP||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||9/8||9/15||9/22||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|OCT||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||10/13||10/20||10/27||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|NOV||Saturdays||8 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||11/3||11/10||11/17||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Partner Training Sites
|Month||Day(s)||Length||Time Slot||Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Host Partners||Comments||Point of Contact|
|FEB||Saturdays||7 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||2/10||2/17||2/24||Deaf CERT||Taught in American Sign Language||Aaron Shoemakeremail@example.com|
|FEB||Wednesdays||7 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||2/14||2/21||2/28||Cobb County Senior Services||Senior Wellness Center
1150 Powder Springs St., Marietta, GA 30060
|MAR||Saturdays||7 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||3/3||3/10||3/17||St. Ann's Catholic Church||Church's School Classroom||Lina Walsh||LWalshRN@st-ann.org|
|MAR||Saturdays||7 hours each||9:00am - 5:00pm||3/3||3/17||3/31||City of Kennesaw||Ben Roberston Recreation Center||Deanna Hendricksonfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Basis Course Layout for any CERT trainings conducted in 3 hour time slots
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3||Session 4||Session 5||Session 6||Session 7||Session 8|
|Paperwork/Overview||Fire Safety||Medical Operations 1||Medical Operations 2||Search and Rescue||Disaster Psychology||CERT & Terrorism||Skill Review|
|Disaster Preparedness||CERT Organization||Disaster Exercise|
Basic Course Layout for any CERT trainings conducted in an 8 hour time slots (all-day)
|Session 1||Session 2||Session 3|
|Paperwork/Overview||Medical Operations 2||Disaster Psychology|
|Disaster Preparedness||Search and Rescue||Skill Review|
|Fire Safety||CERT Organization||Disaster Exercise|
|Medical Operations 1||CERT & Terrorism||Graduation|