Cobb County Government

The Zoning Division personnel provides professional advice on land use regulations and other zoning matters to the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, the Board of Commissioners, and county management, so that their decisions assist with strategic decision making with the intention of serving the best interests of the citizens of Cobb County.

The Cobb County Zoning Division has jurisdiction over properties located within unincorporated Cobb County. Each of the County’s Cities’ regulates zoning within their respective city limits.

Zoning Certificate Information [PDF]

Zoning 101 [PDF]

Visit the County Clerk's page for the following:

  • Zoning Agenda
  • Meeting Minutes
  • Cobb County Official Code



Important Note about Building Permits

Generally, anything built in Unincorporated Cobb County needs a building permit. The Zoning Division needs to approve all sheds, carports, shops, gazebos, arbors, pergolas, porches, decks (covered and uncovered), sunrooms, greenhouses, attached and detached garages, house additions, building additions, interior renovations, basement finishes, pools (inground and above ground), poolhouses, storage buildings, playhouses, barns, riding arenas, retaining walls, basketball courts, and tennis courts. The above list shall include any preassembled, pre constructed and/or movable items. Please call the Zoning Division for any questions relating to whether or not a building permit is required.

Important Note about Impervious Surfaces

Each lot in Unincorporated Cobb County is limited as to the maximum amount of impervious surface the lot may have. Impervious surface means a permanent improvement affixed to the earth which does not allow water or liquid to pass through it or permeate into the earth. Impervious surface includes the house or primary structure, driveway, parking lot, walkways, sidewalks, patios, decks, decking around swimming pools and accessory structure(s), hardscape (which includes stepping stones), and the like. Compliance to the impervious surface maximum is the responsibility of the property owner. Please contact the Zoning Division office for any questions relating to this topic.