Cobb County Government

Can my case be transferred to the county or state where I live?

Misdemeanor probation cases can NOT be transferred to another probation office within the state; however, you may complete the conditions of your probation in the county in which you live. Make sure to provide written proof of the completed conditions to your Probation Officer.

As far as a case transferring to another state, only cases that meet the requirements of Interstate Compact can transfer. A case that is 1 year or more of probation shall be eligible for transfer if the offenses included 1 or more of the following: direct or threatened physical or psychological harm, involved the use or possession of a firearm, a 2nd or subsequent misdemeanor offense of DUI by drugs or alcohol, or a sexual offense that requires the defendant to register as a sex offender. The defendant shall already have established residency in the state in which you want your Probation to transfer.

If your case meets the requirements of Interstate Compact, you will need to make an appointment to complete the paperwork. You shall schedule the appointment in the probation office the day of sentencing. The appointment will take at least 2 hours.

Be advised that filing the paperwork does not automatically allow your case to transfer. You must stay in Georgia until your state agrees to accept your case. This can be a very lengthy process.