Click here to create your CSS membership online
Membership Fact Sheet
On Tuesday, November 14, 2017, the Cobb County Board of Commissioners voted to establish an annual membership fee for seniors using any Cobb County senior center. Please call 770-528-5355 or email AgingByDesign@cobbcounty.org with questions not addressed below.
Effective February1, 2018, you must have a valid 2018 Cobb Senior Services membership BEFORE you may register for or participate in any class or activity at a Cobb County senior center.
Cobb resident: $60/year or $5.00/month
Non-resident: $90/year or $7.50/month
You may pay your membership annually OR on a monthly consecutive payment plan of $5 Cobb residents; $7.50 Non-residents. Note: Your account balance will accrue when on the payment plan.
You may create your yearly membership online (click here) or by visiting any Cobb County senior center. Cash, check and credit cards (MasterCard/Visa/American Express/Discover) are acceptable forms of payment.
· Included in the yearly membership are free evidence-based health programs such as Cooking Matters, Matter of Balance, etc., access to the workout facilities and free coffee. Exercise and art classes are not included.
· If you can’t afford the membership fee, call 770-528-5355 to discuss possible options. You must be within the federal poverty guidelines for consideration.
Q & A
1. Why is membership being instituted?
In 2012, the Citizens Oversight Committee brought together county citizens to look at the overall operations of the county and address areas where we could build sustainability and augment services. The goals were to assess organizational structure, review revenues and expenses, establish service priorities, evaluate budget options and make recommendations.
Pages 12-15 Executive Summary; 104-105 Senior Services Recommendations
2. How do I become a member?
There are two (2) easy ways to create your membership:
A. You may register at a Cobb County senior center in person, at which time you will receive your membership card.
B. You may register online at www.CobbSeniors.org; however, you must bring your printed transaction receipt to a senior center in order to receive your membership card. No membership cards will be mailed.
C. You may pay your membership annually OR on a monthly consecutive payment plan of $5 Cobb residents; $7.50 Non-residents. Note: Your account balance will accrue when on the payment plan.
D. You will be charged $5 for a replacement card.
3. I currently have an Aquatics membership card with Cobb PARKS; will I get a new card with the CSS membership? No. You will not receive a new membership card when obtaining a CSS membership. The two (2) memberships will be attached to the card originally assigned through PARKS, and vice versa.
4. Is there a discount for couples? No. There will not be a discount for couples; each person will need a CSS membership.
5. I no longer want to attend the center; will my membership be refunded? No. Refunds of membership will not be given.
6. Will everything be free once I become a member? No. Some activities will be free, such as Cooking Matters and Matter of Balance classes, etc., access to the workout facilities and coffee. However, some activities will have an assessed cost, such as Bingo, cooking classes, parties, etc. Resident & Non-resident fees will apply.
7. Do I have to pay for events/classes/trips in addition to the membership? Yes. Classes/events/trips for which there is a charge will be in addition to the CSS membership. Resident/Non-resident rates apply for events & classes; Member/Non-member rates apply for trips. Members will receive 10% discount on trips.
8. Is my membership valid at all the senior centers? Yes. Your CSS membership is valid at any Cobb County senior center.
9. Do first-time visitors (in-county or out of county) have to become a member? No. Visitors will be able to use a guest pass which is valid for a one-time use. Guest passes are non-transferable and participation in classes are not included with a guest pass. Cost associated for an activity visitors are participating in during their visit (i.e. Lunch & Learn or craft workshop) will apply at Resident/Non-resident rates.
10. Do occasional participants, i.e. those who come to play pool or card players, have to become a member? Yes. Your membership fee will depend upon your residency status.
11. How does this affect groups who use the centers for meetings? Members of groups such as Lockheed, ATT Pioneers, Kiwanis, dance groups, Cobb County Retirees, etc. who only attend meetings will not be required to have a CSS membership. However, if members of such groups want to participate in other activities at the center they will need to have a CSS membership.
12. Do I need to be a member if I only want to take the trips?
No. However, if you are not a member, you (and any escort) will be charged the Non-resident fee to participate in the trips. Members receive a 10% discount on trips.
13. Does a County employee/spouse or retiree/spouse need to purchase a membership? No. Membership is free for Cobb County Government employees, retirees, and their spouse age 55 regardless of residency. County employees must present their employee badge at time of creating membership. Retirees and spouses must present a letter from Human Resources at time of creating a membership.
14. Do family members of Cobb County employees get free memberships, such as they do with the aquatics centers? No. Family members of County employees get free membership at aquatics centers as part of HR's wellness program for employees. CSS's offerings are not part of that program therefore family members will not get a free membership.
15. Is there a scholarship if someone can't afford classes? No. The only scholarship available will be for membership.
16. I am a member of the Senior Citizen Council so do I still need a CSS membership? Yes. Your CSS membership is not related to your Senior Citizen Council membership.